Perry Hall, Md

INTRODUCTION
Perry Hall is located in Northeast Baltimore County. It is a
prominent community with many businesses. Its boundaries are often
confused with that of White Marsh because they share many things,
including White Marsh Mall. Even though it is named White Marsh Mall,
Perry Hall and White Marsh boundaries cut through the mall. Most people
know that Perry Hall is a old town. The town was established before it
was called Perry Hall. Perry Hall has had many names, Germantown being
one. The town was finally called Perry Hall in 1775 after Perry Hall
mansion, started by Corbin Lee and finished by Harry Dorsey Gough.
Gough named it after his home Staffordshire, England ?Perry Hall?.
(McGrain, p.58)
Ellis 2
HISTORY
Perry Hall's earliest records of settlement are the Susquehannock
Indians. The Susquehannock Indians settled near what was then called
Gunpowder River Valley; now called Gunpowder Falls State Park. In 1608,
Captain John Smith lead the first European exploration of Gunpowder River
Valley. In 1658, the first Europeans began to settle in the Gunpowder
River Valley. In 1669, Henry Howard acquired 200 acres of land, later
called Cullenbourne. In 1681, George Lingan purchased 1,000 acres of land
near Great Gunpowder Falls, which will become later the Perry Hall estate.
In 1697, one of the Indian sightings in Baltimore County was recorded,
when Charles Hewitt testified that Susquehannock Indians raided his home
in Perry Hall. (Marks, p.159)
During the time of 1700-1759 things began to fall into place in this
small town of what is now Perry Hall. Industries were starting, such as
forges, furnaces, and farms. In 1729, The Maryland General Assembly
created Baltimore Town, later becoming Baltimore County. In 1731, The
Baltimore Company opened the region's first iron furnace in Gwynns Falls.
In 1749, a flood swept through The Great Gunpowder Falls region and
Ellis 3
destroys many buildings, including the Gunpowder Iron Works. Also in
1749, Nottingham Furnace was up and running. In 1752, a devastating fire
destroyed Nottingham Furnace. In 1754, Baltimore County Court granted
Selah Barton to operate a ferry over ?Long Calm? at the Great Gunpowder
Falls. In 1757, the Nottingham Forge was opened on the Great Gunpowder
Falls. In 1759, Cullenbourne was sold to the Nottingham Company.
(Marks,p.159)
During the years of 1760-1850, Perry Hall was going through a
religious revolution, also the town was still going through its industrial
period. In 1760, Robert Strawbridge, a Methodist missionary, went to
northeastern Baltimore County and converted many slaves and backcountry
residents. In 1774, Harry Dorsey Gough purchased the 1,000 acres, once
owned by George Lingan, and renames it Perry Hall. In 1780, Nottingham
Furnace and Forge was confiscated as British Property. In 1784, the
Methodist church was formally organized and Francis Asbury was named
bishop. In 1807, Camp Meeting Chapel was built. In 1880, Harry Dorsey
Gough died, he was born in 1745. In 1812, the first cannon fires were
heard in Perry Hall during the British invasion of Baltimore. In 1814,
Gunpowder Copper Works was up and running, producing materials for the
Ellis 4
U.S. Navy during the War of 1812. In 1817, the Joppa Iron Works is
operating. In 1824, fire destroyed the Perry Hall mansion. In 1832, fire
destroyed the Joppa Iron Works. In 1848, Camp Chapel closed until 1850.
(Marks,p.159-160)
During the time between 1850-1900, Perry Hall was called
Germantown. This was when German and Irish immigrants settled in Perry
Hall, also when new religions were introduced to the people of Perry Hall.
In 1850, Catholics began to congregate at the Krastel farmhouse, this
represent the start of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church. The year 1852
was the turning point in local history, when Harry Dorsey Gough Carroll,
Harry Dorsey Gough's grandson, sold the Perry Hall estate to Eli Slifer and
William Meredith. They divided the estate between new European
immigrants. In 1858, the dam at ?Long Calm? due to flooding and destroys
Gunpowder Furnace. In 1859, Lutherans begin organizing St. Michael
Lutheran Church. In 1866, Baltimore City purchased the Gunpowder Copper
Works. In 1874, Baltimore County's commissioners approve the first public
school in Germantown. In 1876, the Akehurst family began Perry Hall's
first nursery. In 1877, George Penn became Germantown's first postmaster.
In 1878, local residents organized Germantown Building and Loan. A
Ellis 5
second Perry Hall School opens in 1890. In 1895, residents